The Healthy KidZ Club (HKC) is one of EDventure Web’s unique programs. The HKC is an opportunity for K-3 grade students to practice important healthy habits while participating in a club atmosphere. While participating in the program, teachers refer to one of eight units for students to complete one health-related challenge to earn a sticker to place on a badge. Also included are challenge lesson plans and optional cross-curricular activities that reinforce the theme.
We are able to incorporate healthy habits in a cross-curricular format because we know that classroom teachers have a lot of learning to fit into a short day. Health topics are often something that can get skipped, but not when it is tied to a variety of other subject areas!
This year’s units have incorporated health activities into to language arts, math, science, health, social studies, and school counseling lessons. Units focus on health content areas, which are modeled after Health Education and Curriculum Analysis Tool (HECAT) modules, and include:
- Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Community and Environmental Health
- Family Life
- Injury Prevention and Safety
- Mental and Emotional Health
- Oral Health
- Physical Activity
HKC activities and lesson plans have been aligned to National and Common Core Standards for grades K-3. Although in past school years, teachers have successfully adapted the program for the pre-school grade level as well as for older students and students with special needs.
- Eight Units, each highlighting a different health content area. Units included for the 2015-16 school year are: My Plate, My Plan (Nutrition), Be a Better Friend (Mental & Emotional Health), Get Up and Get Going (Physical Activity), Making Healthy Choices (Alcohol and Other Drugs), Be a Health Star (Personal Health – Personal Care), Be a Better Brusher (Personal Health – Oral Health), Be Smart, Be Safe (Injury Prevention and Safety), Keep Our World Healthy (Community and Environmental Health)
- Teacher access to the HKC website
- One Badge (4″ pin)
- One Challenge Sticker Set (8 – 1″ full-color stickers)
The HKC has been used exclusively in South Dakota since the 2009-10 school year. From the launch of the program in 2009, over 21,900 students have participated in the Healthy KidZ Club. We are excited to now be able to extend the reach of the HKC to anyone who would like to participate.
Beginning the 2015-16 school year, we are abandoning the calendar format. The Healthy KidZ Club will still cover eight health topics (now called Units), just not tied to the calendar format of the past. We hope that this helps the program to be more flexible in your classroom.